Some people don't see what all the hype is about, read on and you shall find out.
Seeing the joy on my dogs face as she eats her dinners or even a lucky afternoon treat time is worth it alone, but there are many more reasons!
1. Most importantly they provide mental stimulation from any age of 8 weeks old to seniors. Mental stimulation is like exercise for the brain, if your dog is only getting physical exercise and you wonder why he never runs out of steam....you should definitely get him a food puzzle toy!
2. A lot of dogs gobble up there food so fast you think they for sure have a stomach ache, perhaps they don't but wouldn't it be nice to make meal time last a half hour, so he isn't looking up at you immediately asking whats next mom? You can keep your dog busy while you need him to be and then he will likely take a nap after from all that mental exercise, how cool!
3. Puppies are difficult to keep occupied, if you own a puppy, this is a big key to keeping him busy and tiring him out, puppies aren't meant to go on lonnnng walks, its not good for their growing bones, this is a safe way to exhaust them!
4. Training! Food toys assist in all kinds of training, if your dog has a food toy he will likely not need to destroy other items lying around.
Food toys can help with crate training as a way of making crates for fun time. If your dog is busy earning his dinner, he cant be bugging you, or barking at the neighbours cat or annoying guests.
5. Your dogs will love you for it!
So don't delay, go buy one! But don't just fill it with food and leave it on the floor, here are some tips for making your dog love food toys!
- A lot of people claim their dogs don't like rubber Kongs, perhaps he prefers a treat ball, or a kong wobbler, there are so many choices, think about the actions your dog is good at, chewing or rolling or holding and pawing?
- Also its important to make it really easy for your dog to get the kibble/treats at first then make it harder, try peanut butter, wet dog food or yogurt to entice them.
- Play with your dog at first, show them how it works, maybe you have to help them every time for five meals in order for them to gain interest, don't just leave them alone, they will never enjoy it that way, you must build up to it, your efforts will pay of greatly in the long run!!!