2. Add duration: Start at 1 second and reward that, then slowly increase while standing by his side or directly in front of him
3. Add distance: now you can take a step away from the dog but decrease the duration to help him succeed
4. Add duration and distance: slowly take more steps away and increase the time of the stay
5. Add distractions: now your ready to add small distractions in the house while keeping the dog on leash so he doesn't have a chance to take off
6. Step by step: don't go straight outside and expect him to listen off leash, slowly increase distractions, practice only on leash/long lines for now and be patient, a dog must learn that stay means stay everywhere not just inside or when they feel like it, but it does take time!