He probably finds this really fun, how about we teach him to chase us instead?
Treat this as you would a training exercise but a fun one!
1. Put your dog on leash, arm your self with his favourite treats or toy
2. Take a few quick steps away from him, as he catches up, reward him rapidly and make a big deal about it, repeat a few times at clsoe range
3. Put your dog on a long line, repeat.
4. Vary the exercise by turning suddenly and running away from your dog
5. Once your dog knows the drill, start to add a cue such as lets go or this way!
Keep these sessions short, fun and very rewarding. When your dog knows the game, try it out with distractions on a long line before being off leash.